Tuesday, September 7, 2010

net 102 - it's feeling a bit daunting

The Internet and Everyday Life: NET102/502


This unit explores the Internet as a social technology; it examines the social, cultural, economic and political aspects of the Internet and its application. Together, we look at what the Internet is and what people do with it. In this unit, our interest is not in the 'nuts and bolts' technology of the Internet except in terms of the part it plays in social terms, and how the activities of people using the technology changes its path of development. We ask, what does the Internet mean in our lives?

Your study has been split into two modules:

Module 1: The Internet in Our Lives
This module introduces you to the Internet as a social technology through reading and activities. In this unit, our interest is not in the 'nuts and bolts' technology of the Internet except in terms of the part it plays in social terms. What does the Internet mean in our lives? This module is covered in weeks 1 to 6 by exploring two topics in each of weeks 2 to 4, before reflecting on the whole module in week 6.

WEEK 1: CORE STUDY MATERIALS

◦Please familiarise yourself with the following: (which I have been and it's a little overwhelming, Im sure that as long as I do all the readings and go about it step by step I will be ok.............)
■Unit Outline (also linked from first page of the study area)
■Getting Started
■How to Study This Unit
■Your Map: Timeline and Activities Chart (it's in a prime, but scary location.....)
■Assessment (hmm)

◦Start studying with some of the central questions and ideas of the unit:
■Introduction: Studying the Internet
■Study Guide to Module 1 (read it cover to cover, and will probably read it again!)

WEEKS 2 TO 4
(these are the 6 topics that I need to work through with their associated assignments over the next couple of weeks. I don't need luck! I just need a quiet house and bad weather.(I study better when it's wet and horrible outside.)
◦Topic 1.1: Music: I Want My MP3 (Laughey is quite a difficult read, it's interesting in that he talks about the history and development of subcultures within the commencement of personal portable music. I'm working on that one as I type.) (as for the rest, I will update my blog as I go, and if you are wondering what the weather is like outside right now, I've attached a photo at the bottom of the blog (yes my favorite subject, Mt Wellington.)
◦Topic 1.2: Games: At Work, No One Knows I'm a Wizard
◦Topic 1.3: Dating, Intimacy and Sexuality
◦Topic 1.4: Health: What My Doctor Didn't Tell Me
◦Topic 1.5: Faith and Spirituality Online
◦Topic 1.6: Politics: Julia Gillard is my Facebook Friend
WEEKS 5 TO 6
◦Essay Writing and Perspective

◦Mindmapping and Reflection

Module 2: Bringing It All Together!

This module pulls together your earlier learning to answer some bigger questions about the relationship between the Internet and society today.

WEEKS 7 TO 10
◦Topic 2.1: Power and Economy
◦Topic 2.2: Community and Identity
◦Topic 2.3: The Relationship between Society and Technology
◦Topic 2.4: The Shaping of Time and Space

WEEKS 11 to 13
◦Reflecting on Module 2
◦Conclusions
Assessment
Assessment Overview

Stunning isn't she!

Well, onwards.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ooh, you have just made me homesick. We have just moved to Victoria and the one thing I really miss is not being able to see the mountain,,,,sigh...

Unknown said...

Hi Carabee nice to meet you!!!!. I will be putting more photos up as I go (will be out and about in Hobart and the suburbs, (not bad for an old camera!!), so feel free to come back and check them out, hope they help with your homesickness. :)